Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Clichy admits quit fears

Arsenal left back Gael Clichy has admitted he felt he would have to leave the club when Ashley Cole was keeping him out of ths side.

When I look back, I was nothing but now I'm Arsenal's first [choice] left back,"

"In a big way, I've progressed a lot. I was just playing for Cannes in the Third Division and never thought Arsenal would be there looking for me.

"There was really a bad time since I joined Arsenal when Ashley got injured and I wasn't happy, I would not say I was happy but I got a chance to play.

"Then, a week later, I got the same injury. Of course, it was in my mind to just think that the chance is gone. I'll have to work hard and move elsewhere to do something.

"At the end of the day, I'm here today and I'm really pleased with that.

"I can look back at the past and say all those things just made me stronger.

"When Ashley left, he [Arsene Wenger] didn't buy anyone and that is the best sign of confidence for me and was a big boost.

"I was injured for a few months and it was really nice to feel someone behind you so, when you come back, you just have to play a few games to get the consistency back and go again.

"You can do mistakes," he admitted after slipping up in the win at Manchester City. "Without trying to take risks, you can't be great.

"So it was a big mistake for me at City but I try to do my best and play good football like we do at Arsenal."

No comments: