Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Van Persie demands silverware

Robin van Persie has urged his Arsenal team-mates not to throw away their hard work so far this season.

"We have to win at least one trophy this season. If we don't, then we would have played all the fantastic football for nothing," said the Dutch forward.


"This is our moment and we need to win something. We all realise we are in a fantastic position and this has to be our year."


"I am not a day dreamer. I really think we can win the title and the Champions League this season.


"Why not? We have the qualities and we just have to stick together and believe in it. Belief can take you very far in football.


"It is still in our hands to win the double and we have to take these opportunities because we have something special here at Arsenal."


Van Persie has missed most of the season through injury but returned to the starting line-up for the 1-1 draw with Middlesbrough on Saturday.


He is now looking to make up for lost time and believes he can make a big impact over the next two months.


"Physically I can't play a full 90 minutes yet but I'm getting there and I just need match fitness now," he explained.


"I need three or four games to get back into my stride but I will give everything I have whenever I'm out on the pitch.


"It has been a very frustrating season for me.


"It started really well but now all I ever seem to do is talk about injuries."

No comments: