Friday, March 28, 2008

Wenger backs Gallas to bounce back

Gallas remains the right leader, according to his countryman, and is backed to lead the club out of their worst form for nine years.


"William has my full support and my full backing and I am completely behind him, and behind the team as well," Wenger said.


"We are going through a bad patch, I agree with you, but we want to come back and win the games again that we can win.


"I believe at the moment when you don't go well, everybody is analysed a little bit more, with scrutiny.

"But what we want to do is perform well as a team again and we know we can do that.

"On Sunday, for example, we played okay, but we have to improve. Recently what punished us a lot is that defensively we have made big mistakes."


Gallas also created headline with comments he made about Walcott in the press recently, but Wenger insists that his remarks were flattering if anything until spun out of context.

"He said Walcott could be the next Wayne Rooney, but he has to work," Gallas added. "What is wrong with that? You want at 18 years of age to not work? It's unbelievable.

"I read it really carefully, it didn't say anything wrong on that. After the way it has been turned, yes.

"If you want to win the World Cup you have to accept that your players are highly exposed, you have to accept that you have to work.

"Is it an insult to say somebody has to work? I don't know, I don't think so."

No comments: