Sunday, June 1, 2008

Van Persie won't be risked

Robin van Persie has confirmed Holland coach Marco van Basten will not be rushing him into action too early.


Although the Arsenal forward feels 'super fit' it has been a season of frustration for the 24-year-old having made just 13 Premier League starts.


With Van Persie paying a heavy price for returning too early last season for The Gunners, Van Basten is keen to avoid any recurrence that could rule him out of Euro 2008.


That means Van Persie's playing time against Wales on Sunday could be limited, if he even appears at all ahead of their Euro 2008 opener against France.



"I am super fit," he told the Sunday Mirror. "But coach Marco van Basten does not want to take any risks. I have been so unlucky this season with injuries.


"I have made a couple of comebacks too early. I paid the penalty for that and we both don't want it to go wrong again.


"But I can sprint, I can shoot, I can do the lot. And I am bursting to produce some really good football in the Euros."

No comments: