Saturday, July 26, 2008

Bendtner Targets Starting Spot


The Danish striker joined the Gunners in 2005, and through his loan spell at Birmingham City and his international exploits has become known as one of Europe’s hottest prospects.

However, the 20-year-old has failed to truly break through to date. He was little more than a bit-part player last term, as he was stuck firmly behind Emmanuel Adebayor, Eduardo da Silva and Robin van Persie in the Emirates pecking order.

But with Adebayor’s future hanging in the balance, Eduardo still recovering from a double leg-break and Van Persie courting interest from the Juventus medical team, Bendtner could find himself starting much more regularly during the coming campaign.

And that would suit the young Dane just fine, as he hopes to feature prominently while Arsenal push to break their title drought.

“I know everybody talks about winning things,” he told the club’s official website. “But that is what it is all about this year. I want to try and take a trophy home.

“I do set myself targets [in pre-season]. The main thing for everyone I think is to play a lot and of course I want to get more regularly into the squad.

“Then I want to progress in my own game. I want to prove to everyone what I can do.”

No comments: