Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Hleb: Gunners goodbye won't be easy

After hailing Arsene Wenger as the best manager he has worked with and Arsenal as the best club in The Premier League, Alexander Hleb has admitted it will not be easy for him to cut his ties with the North London side this summer.


The Belarus star is ready to leave Emirates Stadium after three years working under Wenger and is looking to do so on good terms, having been forced on Tuesday to deny reports that quoted him as criticising both the Frenchman and his good friend Cesc Fabregas.


Barcelona currently appear favourites to sign the midfielder who has already instructed Arsenal of his desire to pursue a new challenge, with Inter withdrawing their own interest following the appointment of Jose Mourinho.


With his time at Arsenal seemingly coming to an end, Hleb has praised Wenger and insisted that leaving The Gunners will be a real wrench.


"I am very grateful to Arsene Wenger,” Hleb told Tut.by. “He is the best coach of my career. And not just a coach. He is a very good man and intuitive psychologist. I very much appreciate his support.


"I talked to him twice before the end of the season. It is also not that easy for me to leave this club, because it has become my home.


“I think he is upset, though it is better to ask him, maybe he is glad.


"In life, everything changes. I believe that there are ten top clubs in world football, and when a couple of clubs are interested in you and offer better terms, I believe that others would have done exactly the same.


"But Arsenal is dear to me, I am grateful to Wenger for everything he has done for me.


"As an Arsenal player, I can say that there is no better club in the English Premiership."

No comments: