Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Nasri explains long transfer

Samir Nasri has insisted there was nothing sinister behind the delay in his transfer from Marseille to Arsenal.


The Gunners moved for the playmaker at the start of the summer, but it was not until July that he finally sealed his transfer.


The delay had led to suggestions that Arsenal could miss out on the 21-year-old, but he claims he had given his word to Arsene Wenger before Euro 2008.


Lyon came in for Nasri, but he has insisted there was never any chance of him playing for any other French side than Marseille.


“Lyon approached me,” Nasri told France-Football. “I spoke with chairman [Jean-Michel] Aulas on the phone. But this contact did not go forward. At this moment I had almost already made up my mind.


“I had given my word to Arsene Wenger. And I couldn’t see myself moving to a different French club than Marseille!


“I never doubted both clubs would find an agreement. There has been nonsense rumours. Both clubs just had to find an agreement to make my transfer official in L’OM’s 2008/2009 balance sheet.


“I already knew I was an Arsenal player before Euros. I passed the medical when I returned from Switzerland then we decided to make my transfer official for my return from holiday in mid-July.


“In my mind I was liberated.”


Nasri claims Arsenal’s attacking style seduced him, and he has revealed he will replace Alexander Hleb on the left wing.


“I am joining a club that plays some of the best football in Europe,” he said. “I was charmed when I watched Arsenal’s games in the Champions League.


“They achieved a tremendous first half to the season. To me England is the ideal destination and Arsenal are the perfect club!


“Arsene Wenger told me he wants to play me on a wing. But there are so many movements in the team that I’ll have the possibility to switch position.


“I was used to playing on the left wing with the youth teams. I don’t mind. Friendlies are made to find your mark.


“My mother chose my number 8. It’s a gift to make her happy. She’s not especially into football but as I’m leaving home for the first time I wanted to give her a twinkling of an eye.”

No comments: