Thursday, July 10, 2008

Sagna fired up for new season

Bacary Sagna is hopeful of being fit for the start of the new season, but has admitted Arsenal need to learn from the mistakes of last term.


The right back’s season came to a premature end when he picked up an injury against Chelsea in March.


The 25-year-old is back in full training and has issued an upbeat bulletin on his fitness.


“I’m okay,” Sagna told L’Equipe. “I was back at training last week, a bit before everybody, to accustom myself to running at a high rhythm again.


“In principle, if everything goes well, I should be ready when the season starts.”


The defender has high expectations for the new season but is still concerned by Arsenal’s late capitulation.


He added: “Lots of people tell me it must be a season to confirm the last one, but last year I was already told it was a season to settle. At the end of the day, I did not put myself under pressure and gave my all.


“Of course I’ve been surprised that everything went that well, most of all because I scored my first goal (laughs). But the objective is always collective more than individual.


“We have regrets following last season and we can legitimately aim for higher. But I don’t think setting objectives is a good idea.


“We have to learn from our past mistakes and take the games one by one.


“It’s the best way to experience a good season and to my mind it will be the coach’s words as well. It’s useless to plan for March when you’re not sure to be still in the hunt for the title at that moment.


“When you’re a competitor you’ve to fight for whatever and that’s how you improve. Regarding the Champions League, we experienced very good moments last year, including against AC Milan. We can’t wait to play in it again.”


No comments: