Monday, July 14, 2008

Vela: I'll be a warrior for Gunners


As he prepares to begin his Premier League career in North London, Mexico starlet Carlos Vela has pledged to be a ‘warrior’ for Arsenal next season.

The 19-year-old was first captured by The Gunners after finishing as top scorer in the 2005 Fifa Under-17 Word Cup but had to spend successive spells in Spain with Celta Vigo, Salamanca and Osasuna before finally being awarded a work permit in May.


Anticipation is building amongst Arsenal fans as Vela is a deeply promising talent who has scored twice in two senior World Cup qualifiers for his country and caught the eye for Osasuna last season as he made 33 appearances in Spain’s Primera Liga.


Arsene Wenger has hinted that he expects Vela to become a player in the Eduardo da Silva mould in the long term, and the Mexican is certainly ready to make an impact in his first season in England.


“I have a lot of character and pride as a footballer and I am not arriving scared of The Premier League,” Vela told news agency Notimex.


“I want to be a warrior for The Gunners.


“I am a humble person and I will arrive at Arsenal to learn and help the team. I am very happy for this opportunity and I do not want to fail.


“My stay in Spain was key to make the jump to The Premier League. Now I am more mature and strong on the pitch.


“For me, Spain and England are the best leagues in the world. Now I hope to apply my experiences to Arsenal.


“My mission is to work, train hard and fight for a place in the squad. I know that is not easy but the season is long and I will have chances.”


Along with Aaron Ramsey and Samir Nasri, Vela is the third young player joining Arsenal’s first team squad for the coming season and the Mexican is excited about the prospect of working under Wenger and alongside Cesc Fabregas.


“Wenger is one of the best coaches in the world and a perfect master for young players,” Vela added. “This is my big advantage and the motive to sign for Arsenal and to reject other big offers.


“Spain was a just winner of Euro 2008 and Cesc Fabregas was sensational. For me he is my idol and it will be a great experience to work next to him in the squad.


“I hope he will help me in the first months.”


However, there is one aspect of the move to England that has been troubling Vela, as the young forward admits he is struggling to learn the native tongue.


“During the summer I have been having English lessons. Now it is my big problem because I only know a few words but I hope to learn very quickly. It will be a necessity and obligation for me.”

No comments: