Monday, July 28, 2008

Clichy stakes claim for captain's role



Gael Clichy has told Arsene Wenger he is ready and willing to be Arsenal’s full-time captain for the coming season, having gained a taste of the responsibility in recent weeks.


With current incumbent William Gallas absent in the opening two games of the club’s pre-season schedule, and deputy Kolo Toure sidelined with malaria, Clichy was handed the armband against Barnet and Szombathelyi.


It was a significant moment for the Frenchman who is a cast-iron fans’ favourite at Emirates Stadium thanks to the way he has replaced Ashley Cole with such energy and commitment in the past two seasons.


Clichy, along with Toure, is also one of only two remaining veterans from the 2003-2004 ‘Invincibles’ season and having signed a new long-term contract in North London, is likely to be an established member of the side for years to come.


Questions have been asked of Gallas’ suitability for the role after his display of petulance at Birmingham last season, and Clichy is ready to take on the mantle of leading the side if required.


"It's a fantastic honour and I don't know if it will carry on like this but if the boss needs me then I will try,” Clichy told Arsenal TV. “Maybe I was the oldest player in the team so I guess it is my time.


"It is a great pleasure for me and I will keep doing it until the boss tells me. Hopefully I am doing it well and I will try my best.


"It is fantastic to work with the young players because we know when the boss brings them in they have got quality.

a

"It is a pleasure to work with them and they have all got good spirit and the atmosphere is good. I hope they will progress because we will need everyone this year to win something."

No comments: