Friday, July 25, 2008

Clichy - At 23 I'm one of the old men in the Arsenal side

Gael Clichy feels he’s an “old man” in the Arsenal side now — even though he’ll only be turning 23 on Saturday.

The left back will celebrate his birthday this year at the team’s training camp in Austria.


With perhaps a decade of high-class football ahead of him, it may seem odd for the French full back to feel he is getting on. However, with 146 games under his belt, Clichy has the third highest number of Arsenal appearances in the current squad after Kolo Toure (285) and Cesc Fabregas (198). Also, some of his team-mates are now six years his junior.


“Even last season I felt a bit like this,” said Clichy. “Now I feel it even more.


“I am 23 soon. That does not give me any pressure and if I can give advice to the younger players then that is a great pleasure for me.


“OK I don’t really feel that old myself but when you have players like Jack [Wilshere] at 16 and Henri [Lansbury] at 17 on the pitch with you then you have to say you are old. That is it.


“So maybe I don’t feel old but I don’t feel young anymore and I have to get used to it.


“But at the same time, I know I still have time in my career and I hope to achieve great things.”

No comments: