Friday, July 25, 2008

Sagna to prove he’s no one-season wonder


Bacary Sagna may have enjoyed one of the best debut seasons in recent years but he is not resting on his laurels.


The right back is well aware of so-called “second season syndrome” and hopes to inoculate himself by winning a trophy with Arsenal in the coming campaign.


Speaking from the team’s training camp in Austria, the muscular 25-year-old intends to barge aside any lingering doubts with the same positive attitude that helped him excel last term.


“When I arrived people told me that the first season would be very difficult and you had to adapt,” he said. “But why wait? Why not play straight away?


“I just tried to do my best for the team and I was voted the best right back in the Premier League. But now I would like to achieve other things. Why not lift a cup?


“I know I have to confirm [my first-season form] but I feel confident and good in this team. I want to do a lot of things. I want to score and be more decisive now. I will try to do it.”


Twelve months ago, Sagna was a rookie in a position where Arsenal already had options, could he have imagined his first campaign going any better?


“No,” he replied flatly. “I did not know anything about English football when I arrived, only what I saw on TV. But I was not scared and adapted very quickly because of my team-mates and work of the staff.


“Everything was good for the first season and I thank the people who helped me. But now I want to fulfil more of my ambitions.”

No comments: