Saturday, April 26, 2008

Adams angles for Gunners return

Speaking to Setanta Sports, former Arsenal captain and current Portsmouth assistant Tony Adams suggested that he is the man to help The Gunners reestablish themselves as the Premier League’s top-dogs.

Since calling time on his playing days, he has slowly but surely started to carve out a name for himself as a coach of some repute, with Pompey’s impressive defensive record frequently put down to his influence.


Adams’ contract at Fratton Park is set to expire at the end of the current campaign and, with no new offer yet on the table, he feels that, after seeing Arsenal limp to another trophyless season, he could make a difference back at his old stomping ground.


“I’ve not been offered nothing here, I’ve not been offered anything elsewhere,” he told Setanta Sports’ Friday Football Show. “I want to keep learning and wherever that takes me it takes me.


“I always tried to lead by example [at Arsenal] and get out there and make sure they realised they were playing for the Arsenal. I tried to install in the team a kind of ‘over our dead bodies’ kind of attitude.


“I just feel that people don’t realise that the best back four win the league. The last two seasons Manchester United have had the best back four and, before that, John Terry and his men were fantastic for two years.


“We’ve kept more clean sheets at Portsmouth than Arsenal have, but I’m not going to question the great man [Wenger].


“I love the club, it was part of my life for so many years and if anyone at Arsenal wants to invite me back, I’m willing to give it a shot. I’m fully prepared and willing to do what I have to do.”

No comments: