Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Walcott hungry for more

Theo Walcott admits that he has not lived up to what he hoped to achieve this season, but has his sights firmly set on engineering a regular starting berth for himself for both Arsenal and England.


Walcott turned in a sprightly display in a rare start for The Gunners against Reading on Saturday, with Arsene Wenger describing it as the 19-year-old’s best performance since moving to North London.


Wenger has been pleased with Walcott’s steady progress, but the player himself is chomping at the bit to go to the next level.


"At the start of this season I wanted to make 20 to 25 starts and score five goals,” he said in The Daily Mirror. “At the moment I'm on 17 starts and five goals, so it looks like I will fall short of that.


"I would have liked to have played more, especially lately because I feel I have been playing quite well.


"I don't want to be coming off the bench all the time. I want to get in the starting line-up and I know I need to produce what I do in practice when I start the games. That's my next target.


"Hopefully I can start some games for Arsenal and show Mr Capello what I can do. I want to concentrate on Arsenal first and foremost, but England have a couple of friendlies coming up and I would like to be involved."

No comments: