Monday, April 14, 2008

Fergie - Arsenal were unlucky

Sir Alex Ferguson admits that his side were fortunate to take all three points in a pulsating tie with Arsenal.


The Manchester United boss saw his team come from behind to snatch a 2-1 win at Old Trafford in a game which swung from end to end.


Emmanuel Adebayor had given the Gunners the lead just after half-time, but a penalty from Cristiano Ronaldo and a fabulous free-kick from Owen Hargreaves saw the Red Devils kill off their rivals' title aspirations.


Ferguson believes the game produced an outstanding spectacle for the spectators, and feels that both sides should be proud of the performance they put in.


"I watched the Liverpool-Arsenal game on Tuesday and I thought it was an absolutely fantastic game, but the quality out there today was outstanding - you won't get a better game this year," he told Sky Sports.


"They were the better team in the first half and I thought we were a bit nervous.


"Our passing was poor, I thought our confidence in expressing themselves was poor, I couldn't wait to get to half-time.


"There was always a second team for me today though because (Carlos) Tevez and Anderson were always going to play a part.


"When Arsenal scored it forced my hand and we were fantastic after that. Wayne (Rooney) could have had a hat-trick, we played some good football, Arsenal had fantastic moments themselves and it was just an incredible game


"I think Arsenal were unlucky not to get something from the game.


"They put everything into it, you couldn't ask for more from a team than Arsenal produced today. They have given their best effort I think, but we still managed to win it."


No comments: