Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sagna: I'll stay a Gunner for life

Bacary Sagna has claimed he is ready to end his career at Arsenal after having an impressive debut season in English football.


After joining from Auxerre last summer, the France international adapted immediately to the pace of The Premier League and was a stalwart of the Arsenal side before picking up an ankle injury in the defeat to Chelsea at the end of March.


The right back now admits he would be happy to stay in North London for the remainder of his career having settled so quickly after leaving France.


“I like to play all my life for Arsenal,” Sagna told Arsenal TV.


“I feel very good in this team and country and I like English football, I miss one thing, my family.


“Arsenal are a very good team, known all over Europe, there are a lot of young players. We all want to go forward and that’s I wanted to play here.


“Yes, [it was also the chance to play total football]. We can go forward easily, we are young together, we can show we can play good football. And that’s why English football attracts me and that’s why I wanted to play for Arsenal.


“Yes of course, [it was also a big thing that Arsene Wenger was here]. He’s French and he showed he wanted me.”


Sagna’s brother, Omar, died suddenly just days before the first leg of Arsenal’s Champions League tie with Milan, and the defender won widespread admiration when returning to the side for the draw at Emirates Stadium.


Now Sagna will play in honour of his brother as he continues his career in North London.


“It is life you know, it was sudden and my father asked me to come back [to Arsenal],” Sagna said of Omar’s death.


“That’s why I came back for Milan and I think I made a good choice, I can’t stop playing and living, it is difficult but life continues and now I am playing for him.”

No comments: