Friday, April 25, 2008

Fabianski set to stake his claim at Derby

Arsène Wenger has all three goalkeepers fit and available but he may choose to hand out some valuable experience to the 23-year-old Polish international.


Until now, the summer signing from Legia Warsaw has been restricted to Carling Cup appearances. He excelled early on in the competition but let in five goals as Arsenal crashed out to Tottenham in the Semi-Final second leg at White Hart Lane. If Fabianski does not debut at Derby it seems he will get a chance at some point in the final three games of the campaign.


"I’ve not made a decision yet about who will play but I will have a look at Fabianski [before] the end of the season," said Wenger at Friday's press conference. "It could be Monday, I don’t know yet.


"For me he’s class. He understands football, reads the game well and is quick. He is technically good with good co-ordination and has a good connection with the team."


In fact Wenger's faith in Fabianski is so solid that he does not intend to bring in another stopper if Jens Lehmann leaves in the summer. The German is out of contract in June.


"At the moment I say no [to another keeper]," he said. "[It depends] how well Fabianski does if I play him. But, on that front, I’m not especially worried.”

No comments: