Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Nordtveit - I can be Arsenal's 'new defender'

The 17-year-old has clearly impressed the men who matter - he was handed his first-team debut shortly after arriving last summer and was named Reserve team captain in September. Now Nordtveit is hoping that Wenger decides to promote from within when he assesses his squad at the end of the season.


"Of course I want to be that player," Nordtveit told Arsenal.com. "It is up to me to show them what I have.


"My first season has been very good. It was not so happy in the start with my injury but I am pleased to be back regularly in the Reserves, and to be captain. We got a smashing result on Monday night so it is just going upwards.


"Playing in the pre-season games is in my mind. I will miss the last reserve game as I am away with the national team on Thursday, but I will keep trying to do everything in training and if I am picked [for pre-season games] I will be very pleased. We will see."


It's easy to see why great things are expected of Nordtveit. The Norwegian has a commanding presence at the back and a range of passing which eclipses most central defenders. Nordtveit lacks experience but he has been hoovering up advice from more established team-mates.


"Training with the first team has helped me a lot," he said. "Everybody there has so much experience, like Kolo Toure and William Gallas.


"I need to see everything and learn what I can. They tell me to be patient, not to rush it, do the right things every single time and stay focused on what we do. Of course, we have to do it well in the games too.


"I have definitely improved because the pace of the football here is much quicker than in Norway. I have become more of a team player, my passing is getting better and I am becoming more professional all over the pitch and off it. I have improved in almost everything."


Earlier this season Wenger admitted he had "rarely seen a boy of his age so mature". If Nordtveit continues on his upward curve, the Frenchman may not have to look far when he hunts for reinforcements this summer.

No comments: