Friday, April 18, 2008

Wenger uncertain who will lead Arsenal next season

At his press conference on Friday, Wenger was asked directly if Gallas would be leading the team out next season. He refused to commit either way but praised the 30-year-old for his efforts and said a decision would be made after reflection in the summer.


"I cannot answer that question at the moment," said the 58-year-old. "I want to analyse the season after it has finished. At the moment he will be my captain until the end of the season.


"I believe he has learned a lot this year and I can only say that his commitment and desire to do well was exceptional. For the rest, I wouldn't like to go into any individual assessment at the moment.


"I made that decision and I have to stand up for that decision, I have to protect the team and the individuals as well at the moment. They get criticised and maybe we deserve critics at the moment.


"But, overall, the team has made good progress this year and the most important thing is we finish well now."

No comments: