Monday, April 21, 2008

I'll chat with the boss about my future

Gilberto intends to have an "open and nice conversation" with Arsène Wenger about his future at the end of the season.


The 30-year-old wants to stay at Emirates Stadium but admits he has been a frustrated figure on the bench this term. He has only amassed 18 starts in all competitions when, 12 months ago, he was a regular and a strong contender for Player of the Season.


Typically, despite his disappointment, Gilberto has kept his counsel and will remain a model professional for these last three games. However he will seek out his manager before the summer.


"I will sit down with the boss at the end of the season," he said. "But for the next few weeks, I will keep focused on doing my job and try to help the team as much as I can. Whether it's on the pitch as I was on Saturday, or whether it's on the training pitch working with the players.


"I will always do my best as a professional but then, at the end of the season, I will see when I speak to Arsène. We always speak very nicely, the conversations we have are very nice. He's open and we'll talk.


"I still have one more year. To be honest, I really want to stay and I've always expressed that. Of course I'm upset that I've not played much this season because last year I played the whole season and this year has been really frustrating.


"But you need to be professional, respect the manager's point of view and help the other players to the maximum that I possibly can.


He went on: "I confess to you, that it's hard to watch from the bench. But I need to respect the other players, respect the manager's view and to be professional.


"I think I have done a good job for Arsenal, I want to carry on and wait for my chance but I also enjoy being back on the field and for me the season starts right now in these last four games."

No comments: