Thursday, May 15, 2008

Clichy closing on new deal

n a refreshing interview, Gael Clichy has distanced himself from speculation about a possible transfer, claiming he is about to sign a two-year contract extension with Arsenal.

The defender, voted left back of the season, is happy with The Gunners and is in talks about a new deal.


“We are on the verge of ending the negotiations,” he told France-Football.


“Everything is alright because my intention is very clear: I want to stay at Arsenal.


“I would like to have a career like Vieira or Henry, staying several years at Arsenal and making my name part of their history.


“I have been in London for five years. If everything is alright, I will stay here for a minimum of eight years.


“We are discussing about two more years. During that period, the coach will still be at the club.


“He is the one who made me come, it’s him who built the young team.


“It’s a superb project to be part of this squad’s future.


“Arsenal are one of the biggest clubs in Europe. It’s ideal for youngsters, the coach lets us play, trust us.


“We play in a passionate championship, the best in the world.”


The player has been told that he could buy-out his contract, using the Webster clause, but it would appear he has no intention of doing so.


He added: “No. These are laws, rules, on the ones clubs and players can act.


“That is not my state of mind. I love this club, I am very attached to it, I did not want to do this."


Clichy commented Mathieu Flamini’s move to Milan.


“Everybody takes their own decisions. I respect Mathieu’s choice,” added: “AC Milan are an opportunity that is not presented every day.


“But it does not mean that because this player or that player has gone that I am going to follow them.


“It will not change my state of mind. Even if it is possible to experience something beautiful elsewhere, in other leagues, I am convinced that our team can go to the top.”


The full back was then told about the reported interest from Milan, Real Madrid and Juventus, and asked if he had been contacted.


He added: “No. There is a difference between keeping an eye on someone and really wanting to sign him.


“My agents deal with this. Thinking of Real or to another club is not my objective. My objective is Arsenal.”

No comments: