Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Flamini chose Milan because of the club's reputation

Mathieu Flamini concedes it was a tough decision to leave Arsenal but has explained he was unable to resist the lure of Milan's reputation.


Flamini snubbed The Gunners' attempts to extend his stay at Emirates Stadium, instead penning a four-year deal at the San Siro earlier this month.


The France international has claimed the move had nothing to do with a more lucrative contract from the Serie A side, who will play Uefa Cup football next season, explaining it was Milan's history that tempted him.



"I always said Milan would have been my first choice if I left Arsenal and I didn't do it for money," Flamini told La Gazzetta dello Sport.


"I don't say it to boast, but I had lots of offers and I chose Milan because it's every player's dream. It wasn't easy to decide to leave London but I knew what I wanted.


"I don't mind [that Milan will play in the Uefa Cup next term]. Those who play in the Uefa Cup with Milan know that it's the exception of one season. Milan are the team with most (international) titles in the world.


"They are a great club with a great history, a good, amiable coach, excellent players, passionate fans. When I entered the San Siro on the night of Milan-Arsenal it made me shiver."

No comments: