Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I'll Be Fit For The Euro's - Van Persie

Injury-plagued Arsenal forward Robin van Persie is confident that he will be fit in time to represent his side at this summer's European Championship

Van Persie, 24, has been labeled as an incredible prospect for many years now, but has failed to fully deliver and fulfil his potential due to persistent injury problems.

It is believed the forward will make the final Dutch squad, despite many opposed to the notion, and even he himself has admitted he will not be in top form.

"After all the physical niggles I had this season it is not obvious that I am going to be at the top of my form," admitted van Persie, speaking from the club's training camp, where he is training away from the group with a physiotherapist. He is likely to miss this Saturday's warm-up match against Ukraine.

"I must take it gradually, but I am optimistic. I think that I will be ready for the beginning of the tournament.

"It is both tiring physically as well as psychologically because each time I thought I was getting back to being fully fit, I had a reverse.

"The coach [Marco van Basten] has confidence in me, which is very pleasing and reassuring.

Risk

Van Basten has insisted he will not be risking the long-term fitness of the player, and that the priority is to have him fighting for the Netherlands' first game of the tournament, against World Cup winners Italy on June 9.

"I do not want to take a risk with Robin," declared van Basten, who will step down after the tournament and take charge of Ajax.

"My wish is that he will be 100percent fit on June 9."

Along with Italy, the Dutch must also face World Cup finalists France in their group - dubbed the Group of Death - with Romania very much making up the numbers.

No comments: