Friday, May 9, 2008

Wenger not bitter over Flamini departure

The departure of Mathieu Flamini has left Arsène Wenger feeling neither bitterness nor frustration.


It was announced this week that the 24-year-old would be joining Milan in the summer when his contract with Arsenal expires. Certainly, it was a disappointment given Flamini's excellent campaign at Emirates Stadium but, speaking at Friday's press conference, his soon-to-be ex-manager remained philosophical about the situation.


“I am not frustrated because I know the rules in this job," said Wenger. "The guy is free, he can go to somebody who pays him more.


"Myself I have fought my whole life to get good wages for the players. I feel every player deserves good money when he becomes a top player and good money gives you the freedom to do what you want.


"He said he wanted to stay. If you say ‘no I want to go somewhere’ that is OK. But you cannot say ‘I want to stay but I go'.


"Still, for me it’s not a problem, I wish him well and say thanks for the services. Let's go on and focus on what’s important for this Club and the players who want to stay here.

"There is no bitterness, nothing. He was in a situation where he could make a decision, and he did. Goodbye and good luck. It’s as simple as that.


"What is important is that a player, when he plays, gives 100 per cent. And when he played for us he gave 100 per cent.”

No comments: