Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Fabianski - My personal debt to Jens Lehmann

Lukasz Fabianski has spoken of his personal debt to the departing Jens Lehmann.


The two goalkeepers shared duties in Arsenal's 1-0 win over Everton on Sunday. The Pole played the first 68 minutes while the German came on for the final 22. It was a compassionate gesture from Arsène Wenger as Lehmann is almost certain to leave the Club in the summer.


At 23, Fabianski is at the start of his career and, even though they have shared only one season at Emirates Stadium, he believes much of the 38-year-old's experience has rubbed off.


"I learnt a lot of things, really small details," said the former Legia Warsaw stopper. "The most important thing was to be always 100 per cent professional. During the whole year he never gave up. Everyday he was [at the] training ground and that shows how you have to behave to be at the top of your game."


Of course, this season both men have been behind Manuel Almunia in the goalkeeping pecking order.


Despite Lehmann's impending departure, Wenger had said that he will not sign a new keeper. Therefore Fabianski will be putting the pressure on next term.


"I was really patient this season," he said after the Everton game. "I was waiting for my chance. I was really happy that the boss gave me this chance in the final games. I hope next season to fight in every training session for my position.


"They told me when they brought me here that I would have to fight for my place. I have had a chance and now it depends on me as to how I use it."

No comments: