Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Randall - I know what I need to succeed


Mark Randall knows exactly what is needed to succeed at Arsenal.


The talented midfielder recently returned from a five-month loan spell with Championship outfit Burnley. As well as picking up a wealth of first-team experience, Randall learned more of the values required to be a professional.


“I would say I have come back physically stronger and more hard-working,” the 18-year-old told Arsenal.com. “That is what I learnt a lot of at Burnley, so I would definitely say my loan helped towards me featuring at Sunderland.


“I know you need a lot of discipline to succeed as an Arsenal player, and a professional attitude. I have that now and I am so happy for the sacrifices I have made.


And the good times have surely only just begun. Randall is a hugely-gifted individual and, despite his tender age, he already possesses plenty of guile and footballing know-how. No wonder manager Arsène Wenger sees him as a long-term prospect at the Club.


Having enjoyed a fruitful pre-season with the first team at their Austrian training camp - and an appearance at the Emirates Cup - Randall was handed his senior debut in the Carling Cup win at Blackburn. Inevitably, when the transfer window opened in January, other clubs came knocking. So when Arsenal Under-18s tumbled out of the FA Youth Cup, Randall headed north to Turf Moor.


“I think it was good for me at that time to go,” he explained. “I didn’t want to still be playing occasionally in the Reserves. After we got knocked out of the FA Youth Cup, I wouldn’t say we didn’t have anything to play for, but we weren’t challenging for honours so it was good for me to add an extra edge to my game elsewhere.


“Nothing about going out [on loan] again has been discussed although I’d be happy to if that is what was wanted.


“But you can’t get any better club than Arsenal as a youngster to be brought up at. This is the best place for me, at my age. The facilities, the coaching, everything makes it what it is.


“So I would rather keep working my way into the first team here but I understand that part of my development is going out on loan.”

No comments: