Friday, May 16, 2008

Wenger sings Song's praises after his late-season surge


Arsène Wenger can remember newspaper articles which claimed that Alex Song is his worst ever buy. Now the Arsenal manager believes his faith in the Cameroon youngster is being rewarded.


Wenger plucked Song from Bastia in the summer of 2005 but first-team chances were few and far between in his first two seasons with the Club. That has all changed now. Song impressed in Arsenal's run to this year's Carling Cup Semi-Finals and, having earned a late call-up to Cameroon's squad for the Africa Cup of Nations, was named in the tournament's Best XI.


Injury sidelined Song on his return from Ghana and he was a surprise inclusion to face Manchester United in a vital title clash in April. He barely put a foot wrong at Old Trafford and went on to play every minute of Arsenal's last five Premier League fixtures. Song's performances have surprised those who questioned his ability, but Wenger was never in doubt about the 20-year-old's talents.


"I believe he is a remarkable player and I was one of the very, very few who believed in Alexandre Song," said Wenger at a Q&A with shareholders last week.


"I can show you articles in newspapers which said that [he] was the worst buy I have made but you will see in one or two years that he will be a great player for Arsenal."


Song's late-season surge has prompted speculation that he could replace Mathieu Flamini in the centre of midfield following the Frenchman's decision to join AC Milan. Song is comfortable in the engine room - he shone in that role while on loan at Charlton last season - but Wenger has other plans for the Cameroon international.


"Trust me, if I make a decision it is because I know all the characteristics of the player whether they are physical or mental characteristics," he said.


"When I put a player somewhere, I know why I do. If I play Song at centre back it is because I believe he will be a great centre back for Arsenal Football Club.


"In Song's case, he can play in central midfield. But can he play 60 games there? I am not convinced."

No comments: