Friday, May 9, 2008

Sagna: I reached my goal

Arsenal defender Bacary Sagna is delighted to have reached his objective in his first ever Premier League season - being voted best right back of the year.


The Frenchman moved from Auxerre in summer 2007 and did not need any time to adapt, as he immediately became Arsene Wenger’s first choice.


The Alsatian tactician played Emmanuel Eboue in midfield and continues to trust the promising Sagna week in, week out, on the right side of his defence.


Sagna has logically been voted right back of the year and revealed it was his aim.


“Being the best at my position was my goal,” Sagna told Le Parisien.

“I knew it would be difficult for a first season but I succeeded.

“Here there are more challenges, more rhythm.

“You have not the right to make mistakes and I love it.”


The 25-year-old regrets Arsenal’s disappointing end to the season but claims that The Gunners have learnt a lot from their mistakes and will be a more competitive team next year.


“We had the qualities to win silverware but we managed badly some vital moments.

“But we learnt so much that we will be even stronger next season.

“We will be even hungrier for titles.”


The Frenchman's older brother Omar died last February, two days before his birthday, and Sagna emotionally revealed that he is scarred by the loss.


“I think of him every day,” he said.

“Nothing can replace a brother.

“Something will always be missing.

“I do a job that I love, I earn a lot of money, but nothing will ever be the same.

“It is destiny and you have to accept it, I have no choice.

“But I still do not accept it.”


Sagna is hopeful he has impressed France manager Raymond Domenech and will be called up to play the European championships in Austria and Switzerland next month.


The young right back is in competition with Lyon’s Francois Clerc and Bayern Munich’s Willy Sagnol.


“I have given everything to be in this list,” he added.

“Now it is Raymond Domenech’s decision.

“If he does not take me, it will mean he has thought I have not been good enough.

“Then I will work even harder for him to call me up after the Euros.”

No comments: