Thursday, May 29, 2008

Hleb angered by recent reports

Despite reports continuing to link Alexander Hleb with an imminent exit from Arsenal, the Belarus international has revealed his admiration for Arsene Wenger and claimed he has never publicly stated his desire to leave the club.


However, if he does move on in the summer, then the playmaker has stated it will be in Italy or Spain and not with another English club.


Whilst not completely denying that a move could be on the cards, the 27-year-old has angrily rejected suggestions that he has publicly articulated his desire to leave the North London club and claims he would never show such disrespect to Wenger.


“I also see everything on television and the newspapers," Hleb told Spox.com before Belarus' friendly with Germany on Tuesday night. "I have a contract at Arsenal until 2010 and now only think of the game against Germany.


“I have also read [that I have said I want to leave], but I do not know who has written it. That is nonsense.


“I have also read that I wanted to move because Arsenal would win nothing, this too is nonsense.


“But I would really not like to comment on the issue really because there is nothing more to say, because the club means so much to me.


“I have learned so much from Arsene Wenger. This man has always supported me and given me the chance to come to Arsenal. I would therefore never say anything negative about Arsenal.


“If I’ll go, then only in a different league, in any case, in England, there is only Arsenal for me.”


When asked specifically about the claims from Shpilevski in The Sun, an evasive Hleb replied: “What should I say? I do not want to comment on news from a newspaper, especially since the alleged quote did not come from me.”


Hleb has enjoyed a superb season for Arsenal but ultimately The Gunners ended up empty-handed when missing out on The Premier League and Champions League in galling circumstances.


At 27, Hleb admits he is concerned at finishing his career with a bare trophy cabinet having had three barren seasons in North London.


“Titles are the most important thing,” Hleb added. “You can play very well, perhaps one of the best ever, but after the career you ask what you have won.


“To win a title is also the most important thing for me. The clock is ticking but it is simply not happening. It is very difficult.


“In this year I thought that I would win two titles, but as I said everything went wrong.


“I do not know what happened. Suddenly everything was gone. It is a pity because this season it was going very well.


“I think I played quite well, even though it could have been better. I am satisfied. Only with the end that we have no title, I am obviously not satisfied.”


Hleb joined Arsenal in 2005 and after initially struggling to adapt to life in The Premier League he really came into his own after scoring on the opening day of the season against Fulham.


The playmaker has praised Wenger for the decisive role he has had in his career and has stated that the Frenchman ’is’ Arsenal Football Club.


“Arsene is the best manager I’ve ever had. What makes him so special? I cannot exactly explain. For me it is this: He picks a player from no-one knows where and a year later, that player is a great star, and he does it every year.


“That is why Arsenal is Arsene, for me.”

No comments: