Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Hleb: It's hard in England

Despite describing The Premier League as ‘the best league in the world’, Arsenal midfielder Alexander Hleb has bemoaned the physical demands of competing at the elite level with The Gunners.


Hleb joined Arsenal in the summer of 2005 from German side Stuttgart and his first two seasons were a struggle at times, but in the past 12 months he has looked comfortable in the Arsenal side and was a key member of Arsene Wenger’s team this season.


It may be construed as unfortunate, then, that he is now being strongly linked with a move away from the club with his agent claiming Wenger has allowed him to leave, as both Inter and Real Madrid wait in the wings.


In an interview conducted in Germany, Hleb did not elaborate on his future in North London but did emphasise just how much of a challenge The Premier League has been for the past three seasons.


“I have learned in England that there is still so much to improve,” said Hleb in Frankfurter Allgemeine.


“I have always dreamed of playing in a great club. Now I have learned that it is not so easy and a lot of work.


“The first year was a killer. I felt very lonely.


“It was clear that The Premier League would be a challenge – but with this pace, I have not expected this.


“The Bundesliga is still a good league, but a season in England feels like two in Germany.


“I will tell you an example: When I was here at the beginning, everything went chop chop, so fast. The pace was madness, even in training.


“I look for the ball in front of me, then where I can play it – when I looked down again the ball was gone.


“The English league is the best league in the world.”

No comments: